Wednesday, February 23, 2011

kefir- and I am not talking about that Sutherland guy

 KEFIR.... have you heard of it?

A few weeks ago I attended a class on Yogurt/Butter making and also Kefir. The class was hosted by Snowville Creamery, the main reason that I went. I love butter and yogurt, so altogether, the class made sense.
The missing link was the education on Kefir, something I had never heard of.

Here is a brief about Kefir
Kefir is an ancient natural tart, yogurt-like beverage made from fermented milk.

One of the richest sources of probiotics, kefir is prepared and made from kefir grains. It takes more than 24 hours to make kefir from kefir grains. Then the grains have to be strained out before drinking the kefir. The strained out grains can then be used to make new kefir.


You can learn more here, here and here.



Here is a picture of the drained kefir.... this is early on so the grains are very small....


Then I added whole milk and I let it grow....


 
I am letting it ferment for 48 hours before I drain and drink it. Then I add more milk and let it ferment 48 more hours. It is on its third round at my home!

I did not drink the first batch.

I drank my first Kefir Smoothie this week (from batch #2)! I mixed the Kefir liquid with strawberries and bananas and then added some ice- BLEND and Drink! It was delicious.

I was a little scared of drinking the Kefir, I don't even like Milk! But, it just tastes like liquid plain yogurt!

On the days that I do not have the Kefir Smoothie for breakfast, I eat Plain Yogurt with Fruit and Granola! YUM...









1 comment:

Jill said...

I still need to figure out of I can drink it! That milk shake deal sounds great!