Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Hallway Transformation

As I continue through my "one room at a time" journey... I was lead from the dining room to the entryway/hallway of my house. While this is not a room, it is the first thing people see when they come in the house. It is the first thing we see when we come in from the garage and it is basically the dumping ground for everything as we enter the house....shoes, coat, purses, bags... all ends up here.

I really want a mudroom and there is no place to have one... at this time.

So, I decided, with the help of a post I saw here that I needed to create my own mudroom space.

All I need is a place to hide shoes, hang guest items and sit down to put my shoes on...

Here is the direction we went...

The idea of board and batten evolved from wanting a chair rail and not wanting to paint the whole hallway one color... as I reserached the look of board and batten it seemed so easy and inexpensive to create.

I started by taping the height that I wanted to start from.


One very organized trip to Home Depot left me with making a $50 purchase inclusive of wood for the wall, paint for the trim and wood and tools required to create this look. **note you will need a nail gun**








Once I got everything on the wall it was time to pick the rest of the color... Sea Salt by Sherwin Williams was the winner. It is a blend of blue, green and grey depending on the light.
We added some hooks and a bench... my mini mudroom...mudwall...









Items purchased:

Lattice Strips from the wood department of Home Depot ($10)
A piece of 1x something (i forget) ($10)... for the mini ledge, top part of the section. I wanted to have a thick crown molding look for this part, however, because we went between 2 doors, we had to go smaller so that the door would open all the way.
Hooks from Lowes ($8)
Snow Storm by Behr (Paint plus Primer) for board and batten ($15)
Sea Salt by Sherwin Williams for walls
Bench at Scotts Antique Show ($30)
Pillow at Home Goods ($15)

Better pictures coming as soon as we have a really sunny day....



3 comments:

abkdesign said...

LOVE IT!!!! Used one of your hooks this weekend for my bags and jacket- I also love the paint color you picked out! Your home is so warm and welcoming.

jana said...

It's BEAUTIFUL! I just love it!!!

bluemeow said...

I am totally going to steal this idea for my foyer :) You are a genius!