Friday, June 10, 2016

life change

I had been trying to leave my previous job for a while... the travel was wearing me down and the job quite frankly was bull shit. Over the past couple years I realized that there was more to life then working for "the man" and especially when "the man" didn't even know all the hard work and hours you put into their company.

A colleague of mine got sick with Cancer and in less then a year after diagnosis- she passed away... I was her manager at that time so my dealings were always about HR and leave etc... rarely did I ever get to humanize the fact that she was sick- she was a mother and a friend who worked hard, got sick and in the end died...
I was pregnant with my second baby at the time and missed her services as I was in the hospital with the baby... I think about her every day, but not in a sad way. I was empowered to make a life decision.

With the support of my husband I knew that after baby #2 was born I would not return to my corporate job. I didn't know where I would go, but I could not go back to a place where life was second and work was first... could not!

I was blessed to be given the opportunity to come and join my husbands family business. we always said we would never work together... but now that we have a family the family biz seemed to make the most sense.

I am working full time doing marketing, social media, community outreach and what ever else someone needs me to do. We are also in the process of starting an online store!
I am loving this!

I have saved 60 minutes a day just by not having a commute. Working with your family has its own stresses, but nothing like the corporate pressure.

I get to work among flowers all day- take fresh air breaks when I feel like it! I have an office with a door and 3 windows. Today I went home to let the dog out (5 minutes away) and put some laundry in the wash!

For the record- I work full time- I did not leave my corporate gig to not work... this is still a job. Just a more relaxed one where the work is for yourself and if I show up with my kid to the office- no one is mad :)





No comments: